Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chemistry

was always one of my favorite subjects which may explain why I used the title "kinetic energy" twice in the short life of this blog. But I really think that the energy given off by the people here in Alaska contributed to my choice of titles.  It is almost as if there is a direct correlation between the amount of sunlight and activity.  So many conversations I have overheard have centered on activity.  It is almost like the sunlight acts on the population the same way that heat acts on molecules - makes them move faster and faster.  And now that the weather is getting colder, and darker, the activity is slowing down.

Last weekend, we drove up towards Hatchers Pass. The same place I went to when Mom and Sue and the rest of the family were here.  Surprisingly, the road to the gold mine was all ready closed for the season.  Think about that.  It is the middle of September and roads are being closed.  The seasonal road was still open, and will be until the rest of the month.  We didn't take it.  I'm not sure where it goes - not that that matters.  Actually, I find it more inviting because I don't know where it goes.  But I think we will save it for nicer weather. Maybe come back with the jeep and if we're lucky we can put the top down and enjoy the drive through the mountain pass....  But the closed road didn't stop us from enjoying a beautiful fall day.  And I do mean fall.  The calendar may indicate that the first day of fall is tomorrow, but my reality is that fall is all ready here.  And about half-way over.
Just as a reminder - this is the same stream less than a month ago

This is the abandoned gold mine we walked around a few weeks ago

Riley running down the mountain

I know this mountain stream was cold.  Riley promptly laid down in it.


Jake and I with Rosey and Riley

You can just make out a glacier in the break between the clouds
So this beautiful fall day was on Sunday and by Tuesday we were waking up to more termination dust
The mountaintop peaking over town on my drive into work

A little more snow yesterday.  Someone told me that once the snow gets to the front mountain peaks, it is only about 2 weeks until the snow hits the ground in town

The temperatures have been ranging in the 40's and 50's.  Yesterday it got up to about 54 and sunny.  But I don't think it made a difference to the snow.



But I don't want to think about the snow quite yet.  I still have summer memories to enjoy....

The man in the black suit is Garrison Keillor at the Alaska State Fair
The fairgrounds are watched over by snow peaked mountains and glaciers
Sand Lake - just as summer is turning in fall.  In early August.

Ok - this was actually last weekend, not this past summer.  Steve and I went to the NAACP annual meeting and listened to Judge Hatcher.  I don't know why Steve always looks like he is taking a mug shot.


back to the Alaska State Fair

The most scenic parking lot I have ever seen.

Yo Yo - my new bff

Mr. Keillor - the man with a face for radio

 As I think about chemistry, I think about some of the changes that are taking place within our own family.  We have a traditional nuclear family with our children circling around us like wild little electrons.  They are charged and when they meet another electron, they might pop off and create another compound. Some compounds are stable, and they have their own little electrons circling around their nucleus. Some aren't stable and they break apart, and the electrons go looking for another compound to join.  Maybe they go back to their original state.  Where ever they go, they are looking for stability.  And maybe a little love.


I think we have made the decision to actually make this a permanent move.  I guess that sounds a little funny since Steve has been here for almost 2 years and I am coming to the close of my first year.  Although that sounds like a simple decision, we have a whole life in WI that we need to close out and consolidate.  And a couple of loose electrons that need to find their way back to the original nuclear compound so they can have some stability again.  

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment