Wednesday, March 9, 2016

saying good-bye

Life is a funny thing.  It doesn't take long for the mundane activities of everyday life to overshadow what first appeared so thrilling and exciting.  Looking at the Chugach Mountains every day, watching the sun rise and set in beautiful shades of pink becomes entwined with paying bills, going to work, getting gas...  the beauty is still there but the awe factor is somewhat diminished when you're on your way to get a root canal.


We had to say good bye to Rosie almost two years ago.  She was a good pup, and the only dog I've ever owned who would drop and play dead.  And she was quite the actress, giving extended death scenes worthy of any stage.


 We added family members....

And know there are more weddings in the future...
Because life doesn't stay stagnant, it morphs and changes in ways we've never anticipated or expected.  It's an adventure.  A wild roller coaster ride filled with unexpected twists and turns.  The best mystery novel ever written....

And that's how I find myself sitting in a hotel room in Tok, Alaska (pop. 1,250) enjoying my last cup of coffee as an Alaskan resident. Okay, I lied.  I'm not enjoying the coffee.  It's the worst cup of hotel coffee I've ever made.  When I'm done with this blog I'll pack my suitcase and my traveling companions into the car and travel 130 miles to the Canadian border.  Then it's the long trip back down the Alcan back to Wisconsin. Just a short jaunt of about 3200 miles through the Canadian rockies and northern Canada before hitting prairie south of Edmonton into Montana.

I'm grateful for everyone I've met here and the travels I've had.  I'm sad to leave a child behind, but happy for him.  I'm glad to be moving closer to my other children, my mom, my sister, my friends...
And Riley too!  He has no idea he has a new little sister.



And now it's time to say good-bye.  Time to hit the road.  Wish me safe travels, and I hope to see you soon.





4 comments:

  1. Alaska loves you! Can't wait to visit Wisconsin, keep our room ready! Love Shelly and Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time. We'll get some cheese curds and hit up a good fish fry <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww where you gonna be? Did you get a new job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm moving into my house at Bohners Lake :-)

      I'm in negotiations about a job... I'll keep you posted

      Delete