Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Memorial Day weekend

was mainly cool and cloudy.  Memorial Day was much nicer and we took a drive (after spending the early part of the day at the range) to Talkeetna.

I don't know how to adequately describe the vastness of the state and the absence of roads.  When you head north out of Anchorage, there is only one road, and it splits into two.  That's it for your options. Talkeetna, is a throw-back tourist type of town.  As we sat on the deck of the restaurant, waiting for lunch, I overheard several different languages being spoken. Some I couldn't identify... danish?  flemish?  certainly not french or spanish.  I noticed there was a sub-culture of what must have been the employees there.  The girls were in cotton skirts and ties to their bathing suit tops were peaking out of the tops of their shirts.  The guys were in shorts and sandals, there were lots of dogs, and everyone seemed to know everyone.  They were all different ages and greeted each other warmly when they met.  A small town where I'm sure everyone knows everyone else.  It actually made me a little nostalgic when I thought back to my own days of working and living in a vacation destination.  But that was a long time ago, long before responsibilities like children and mortgages.
Downtown Talkeetna

One of the many Moose on Parade

Daytrip to Denali anyone?

 I'm told you can see Denali from Talkeetna, but only sometimes.  These chairs look like a good place to sit and wait.



We saw these buildings on the way up.  I had to take a couple of pictures on the way back.  Although they look like little seasonal cabins, people obviously live in this little community along side the highway year-round.


Memorial Day weekend also meant that it was about time for Jake and I to fly back to Wisconsin.

These are the things that make the long trip back worth it.

Shhh... she's listening to the birdies sing

Mom

At the Kenosha Museum


who's the star?


Sky's the star!



Meeting up with some GREAT friends


Today is a mix of emotions... I am sad to leave and eager to get on the road at the same time.  I guess I better stop typing and get ready to pack.  The jeep and trailer won't pack themselves!





Our ride

empty and waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment