Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Midway point

is about where we are. We have been on the road for 5 full days and have visited the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, and the Royal Tyrell Museum in Canada. Tonight we are at a hotel, for a variety of reasons, but mainly because we could be. I have so much to say, but limited time. It is midnight, and tomorrow we need to be back on the road. It is a luxury tonight to have been able to swim and stretch in the pool. And tonight we each have a queen size bed to sleep in, not a sleeping bag into which we had to add another sleeping bag to keep warm. It seems that I had planned so much of this trip except for one detail - it's cold!! I heard the other night that it was 20 degrees and snowing in Yellowstone. Since I can see the snow on the mountains in the distance, I imagine that we would find the same conditions in the Rockies. At some point we will find ourselves in the mountains, but not yet!

I did want to post some pictures so you can share in part of our trip. I will add narrative at some other time. Probably when we get home. I figure we have driven about 2000 miles and have about another 1900 to go. No more planned side trips, so we might make a little better time. Even so, at this rate we should be back home on Friday, just like I planned. Enjoy the pictures...

before the Badlands and the rain

Americana showing its funky self

Badlands in the rain

Jake in the Badlands and rain



Jeepin' in the Badlands




Our neighbors at campsite #2

This was a gem of a little campsite we found quite by accident. It poured on us this night, but we stayed (thankfully) dry.  The next day we drove past Sturgis.  I had wanted to stop, but it just wasn't worth it in the downpour.


Wyoming... a dream come true for me

They had one of the best Visitor Centers I've ever seen


Devils Tower as seen from afar

Do you know the legend? 


Campsite #3   We met another Mom and her 15 year old daughter who were also on the road.  They were from Ohio. It was nice to visit with each other

I don't know who this guy is.  He parked next to us outside of Gander Mountain somewhere in Montana, Great Falls I think. I'm glad he parked next to us, and given all the empty spaces in the lot - I think he did it on purpose.  Jeepwave to you bud!

Campsite #4 Right over the Canadian Border.  That's a trout stream in the background

At the Royal Tryell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta.  It took us waaay off our route, but was a gem of a spot.

Canadian Badlands


Jeepin' in the Canadian Badlands at the Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment