Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On the first day of the journey

I saw a riverbed, but it was full of the mighty Mississipi River, not rocks and things.  Well, there probably are rocks and things, just under lots of water.

But before we get to the river, we have to pack.  And we did on what was a 96 degree day.  Hot and humid, and I am reminded of the fact that I really don't like that type of weather...  So here we are getting ready for the Big Adventure




Of course, I wanted to leave bright and early today, so I was awake at 3 AM.  I had to convince myself to go back to sleep, but I finally succeeded, and then I overslept.  So instead of taking off at 8 AM, it was more like 9:30 by the time we got rolling.  But that's ok. It gave us some time for a dance recital first.  And a visit from a dear friend.





Jake and I made some pretty good time across Wisconsin.  We did stop for lunch outside of Wisconsin Dells at Culvers.  It was a request of Jake's, and an easy one to fulfill.  It wasn't long after that that we came to the Mississippi River.  If I had realized there was a Rest Stop on the banks once you cross over the bridge, I would have stopped, but we were passed the Stop before I realized what it was.




We did have a technical malfunction.  The tarp that we put over the trailer was not very strong, and it about half way across Minnesota I noticed it was billowing, especially when we were passing, or being passed, by a semi.  The tarp would create enough drag that I could feel it until we were away from the semi.  We managed to find a Wal-Mart and bought a newer and improved version of a tarp, more bungee cords and more tie-down straps.  The last 175 miles were no trouble, so hopefully we are set for the rest of the journey.  The stop did slow us up some, and I didn't think we would make it to South Dakota today.  But we did.  We are camping at a KOA is Sioux City.  It is also not far from the highway, and apparently not far from the airport either.  But hey, we didn't come here for the atmosphere.  Tonights dinner was at Perkins where Jake ate his second cheeseburger of the day.  I swear I am going to start taking pictures of every burger he eats.  He may have about 20 by the time we get back home.




Minnesota was pretty and green.  But it's so early in the season that you can't tell what the crops are.  We passed a few Amish farms, but most of the land was just field.  And hardly any cows.  They really must all live in Wisconsin.  We did come across these cows when we stopped for gas.



Ok, it's getting late and tomorrow's drive is about 400 miles across the state of South Dakota.  I'll post where and when I can!

Until next time!

**Addendum**

I apologoze to those of you who are receiving this as a duplicate post.  I did not have the option to save as a draft last night, and I"m not sure why.  So this morning I am trying to fill in the blanks and use the free wifi provided by the KOA.  It's slow at best.

I also discovered/remembered a few things during the night.
1.  I am a very restless sleeper and when in a mummy sleeping bag I get all tangled up with myself and the bag.
2. It can be very cold sleeping outdoors.
3.  Birds do not wake at dawn to sing. They wake at 3 AM and when I am tangled and cold (please refer to points 1 and 2 above) I don't sleep great.  Not that I sleep great anyway...
4. Although this KOA is lacking in atmosphere, it makes up for it in the cleanliness of the facility and the pleasantness of the employees.
5.  But their internet is really slow.  I will try one more time to load some photos, but I have to wake Jake up.  It's about 7:15 AM and I am showered, half-way thru a cup of coffee, and ready to pack and go!

1 comment:

  1. Was linked to your blog via jeepforum.com and I LOVE IT! What an amazing journey to share with someone you love!!Hope to do the same one day!

    from one midwest jeeper to another, *wave* have fun and keep the pics coming!!

    ReplyDelete